The Cultural Marketplace

Wednesday 11 July 2007

Secrets and Dreams

What a brilliant few days. The pace is fast at Mesh HQ. Since I last tapped out some words here, Mesh has had three very cool things happen.

First, last Saturday morning, as I opened up my email whilst sitting by the pool opposite Tracey Emin, I almost fell off my chair when I discovered that Doug Richard had written to express his interest in Mesh. We're hoping to strike up a great conversation with the man who brought us Library House - the essential source of comprehensive information on the fastest growing, most innovative ventures around Europe - and entertained us on the second series of Dragons' Den. In the mean time, I shall mostly be reading up on some relevant history.

Second, last week, I was contacted by none other than the editor and genuinely superb editor of le cool London, Mr Mathew Osman. After connecting on various levels, sharing ideas, chats and smiles, I was fortunate enough to be published in this week's edition of the newsletter! The newsletter changes week to week, so I'll put it up on the press section of Mesh so that it will live on ad infinitum.

I was first introduced to le cool by my brother who bought me the le cool Guide to Barcelona. I was due to return to my beloved Barcelona, where I had spent one year living back in 2000 and I found the Guide invaluable in showcasing some of the best kept secrets and hidden gems in one of the world's most wonderful of cities. After a prolonged absence from Barcelona, it was brilliant to feel as if I had only left the day before. The Guide allowed me to wander as the local I had once been and for that, I was very grateful. I thoroughly recommend the le cool book for an alternative travel guide that looks similar to someone's lovingly compiled scrapbook. Mat is working on the London Guide now, which should hopefully be out some time next year. Watch this le cool space.

Finally, Jonny and I had a most productive and excellent meeting with Sophie Gaskill and Peter Tullin of Arts & Business on Monday. It is always such a good feeling to speak to people who just understand Mesh 110% (the extra 10% being all the new ideas they bring to the table!). Both Arts & Business and Mesh are working towards similar goals in an arena where the arts and business worlds collide. We are now working hard on putting a collaboration proposal together that we hope will knock their socks off. It could just be the start of something very beautiful, indeed.

Next week, we've got meetings set up with the most personable and gregarious Steve Moore, Founder and Director of Policy Unplugged, which exists to help promote social networking, knowledge generation and sharing, co-creation and the harnessing of collective intelligence within organisations and communities. In addition, we'll be meeting Bernard Howard who is a good friend of the Mesh Heads. Finally, we'll also be meeting with Oli Watts and Jo Hill of The Connectors. It's just non-stop, but all good fun. Week two of my new job is going well too - I just wish there were more hours in the day, sometimes.

However, before all that, I am off for a big uni mates reunion at Ashton Court Festival, Bristol where the BBC has promised 21 degrees and a full sun. Rare.

For now, I invite you to post here a continuance of my le cool interview... What are your secrets and dreams? Go on, I dare you...